Glow Medspa now offers microneedling treatments, a minimally invasive, outpatient procedure that stimulates your skin’s natural ability to repair itself to give an overall look of healthy, smoother skin reducing signs of aging. Microneedling can be used on most parts of the body and has been shown to dramatically improve the appearance of fine lines, acne scars, stretch marks and overall skin texture, often with just one treatment. Microneedling uses a unique system that causes your body to produce new collagen and elastin, effectively creating smoother skin where fine lines, scarring and stretch marks once were.
Microneedling treatments works by creating temporary, micro-sized openings in the skin with a disposable needle cartridge. This painless, natural process stimulates new skin growth without using thermal energy or chemicals. Our bodies naturally react to the treatment by producing new cells and extracellular materials, including the vital collagen and elastin that are key to youthful, smooth skin appearance.
Microneedling treatments works in three phases. During the treatment, a microscopic needle pierces the dermal tissue, activating your body’s immune system. Inside your body, neutrophisl and marcophages cells are sent in to disinfect the area, clear debris and increase the blood supply. Your body begins to create new skin. After the treatment, you may experience minimal side effects similar to a mild sunburn, such as redness, tenderness and some swelling. Patients can conceal most side-effects with makeup and go back to regular activities immediately. Within a few days, any evidence of side effects will be gone.
In the second phase, your skin cells continue to multiply and grow in the treated areas. This new skin has stronger collagen and elastin, giving a fresh, youthful appearance and reducing the appearance of any scarring, fine lines, or stretch marks.
In the final phase, your skin will contract as the body heals itself. Tighter, smoother skin is in place of your old skin.
Microneedling treatments can be customized to fit your needs, including the adjustment of the depth of the needles based on each person’s skin thickness or levels of scar tissue.
Fine lines around the mouth before treatment
After one Microneedling treatment. a visible reduction in fine lines
Stretch marks before Microneedling treatment
After one Microneedling treatment, a visible reduction in stretch marks
Acne scars before Microneedling treatment
Acne scars after Microneedling Treatment
Microneedling is your new best friend when it comes to combatting the appearance of facial acne scars, fine lines and wrinkles and improving the overall texture and tone of your skin.
A microneedling device causes controlled micro-injuries that stimulate the body’s natural wound healing process. The micro-injuries trigger the release of cytokines and growth factors that lead to remodeling of collagen and elastin.
There are three phases to the wound repair process:
Inflammation. Piercing the skin triggers your immune system to disinfect the wounds,
remove debris, increase blood flow and begin to create new tissue.
Proliferation. The wound is re-built with new granulation cells, as well as a temporary (type III) collagen and elastin, which are part of the extracellular matrix. Additionally, a new network of blood vessels develops.
Remodeling. The wound has been replaced with new dermal tissues and blood vessels. The type III collagen in the newly formed tissue is replaced with stronger type I collagen, which can contract to create a tightening or “shrink wrap” effect on the skin.
What To Expect
Our esthetician will take a look at the areas you are concerned with and determine if you are an appropriate candidate for this procedure. She will let you know how to prepare and what to expect from the entire treatment. Lastly, she will go over the aftercare guidelines and make sure you understand the process and expectations.
Here’s what you can expect from a microneedling treatment:
- A plan for optimal results. Your technician may recommend a course of procedures based on your individual goals. Maintenance of your procedure might require multiple treatments.
- A comfortable procedure. Based on your needs, your technician will likely apply a topical numbing agent to the treatment area.
- A short procedure time. The treatment will likely take 30 minutes to one hour.
- A mild sensation. Most patients report feeling only the slight vibration during the procedure.
- Minimal post-procedure effects. The skin will appear slightly pink to red immediately post-procedure, similar to a mild to moderate sunburn. Additionally, the most common treatment responses experienced were dryness, rough skin, tightness, redness, itching, peeling, discomfort, tenderness, and burning. These conditions resolved over time without any further complications.
- Sun exposure and/or usage of tanning beds, including self-tanning products, must be avoided for a minimum of 24 hours before and after treatment, preferably 1 week. Treatment within 24 hours of prolonged sun exposure (natural sunlight, artificial tanning or sunless tanning products) may result in hypopigmentation (white spots) or hyperpigmentation (dark spots) that may not clear for several months or may even be permanent. A micro-needling treatment will not be administered on sunburned skin.
- Accutane and any other photosensitizing medication should be discontinued for a period of 6 months prior to receiving treatment and should not be used during your course of treatment.
- No area to be treated should receive any type of chemical peel for 2 weeks prior and after treatment.
- Use of Retinols, Retin-A, Tretinoin, Glycolic Acids, Kojic Acids, Citric Acids, and Hydroquinone must not be used 1 week prior to or after treatment.
- Waxing and/or use of chemical depilatories must be avoided for 2 weeks prior and after treatment. Shaving is allowed immediately before treatment and 48-72 hours after treatment as long as there is no skin irritation.
- You may not be pregnant for this treatment.
- Notify your provider of any tattoos, including cosmetic tattooing, in the vicinity of the area to be treated. Tattoos must be avoided because they may fade from the treatment.
- If you have a history of cold sores, we recommend taking an antiviral prior to treatment.
- During the course of your treatments, notify our staff of any changes to your medical history, health status or personal activities that may be relevant to your treatment.
- A sunburn-like effect is normal for 1-3 days. You will look and feel sunburned after the treatment. Severity of redness will depend on how aggressive the treatment was and how sensitive your skin is. The skin may feel tight, dry, swollen and sensitive to the touch. The treatment area may appear darker and the darkened skin may flake off within 1 week. Darker skin tones may darken prior to lightning.
- Products and regimen: Only use recommended products for the first 3 days post-treatment. Do not use any skin care products for 6 hours post procedure. Microchannels have been created in the skin and using skincare products not recommended by your esthetician could result in unexpected complications. Wash the area gently with tepid water only. Apply a soothing, healing moisturizer as often as needed for the first 3 days. Products are available for sale in our lobby.
- Use of Retinols, Retin-A, Tretinoin, Glycolic Acids, Kojic Acids, Citric Acids and Hydroquinone may be resumed 2 weeks post-treatment.
- Drink at least 6 – 8oz glasses of water to maintain hydration for the next 7 days.
- Exercise should be avoided for 24-72 hours.
- Avoid direct sun exposure for at least 2 weeks post procedure. A broad spectrum, physical block sunscreen is recommended daily. Sunscreen should not be worn for the first 24 hours.
- Avoid unnecessary contact of the treated areas to prevent secondary infection for a full 24 hours.
- Change to a clean pillowcase to avoid infection or irritation.
- Clean off any item that will come in direct contact with the treated area. Some examples include sunglasses, prescription eyeglasses, cell phones and home phones.
- Results will be gradual. Collagen formation takes 21-28 days and will continue to improve for up to 6 months after your final treatment.
Glow Medspa is absolutely amazing!!! Friendly and knowledgeable staff, open early and close late, best lasers I've experienced of all the places I've gone to.Ashley White
Glow MedSpa has such a friendly and knowledgable staff. I was hesitant to get laser hair removal but they immediately made me feel comfortable and had so much knowledge. The entire process was quick and simple and I love my results! Would highly recommend.Ariella Yager
I’ve has 2 treatments at GlowMed Spa. I am Hispanic and have very course facial hair. I’ve had treatments before but with the two I’ve had at GlowMed Spa I can already see and feel the difference. I’m excited for the rest of my treatments.Nora Molinar
Professional friendly staffWhitney Stark
I’ve really enjoyed my time going to Glow Medspa! The staff is always very sweet and welcoming.Kristi Gordon
I love this place Totally recommend and great prices!!!Aly Rodriguez
They explain the procedures and how to care for it. And so far I’m very pleased with the results. I have medium brown skin and of very course black hair. I have been Waxing for three years and only after 2 treatments I see that The hair barely grows now.Meem Hussain
The staff is great, every time I have gone in there- my experience has been a great one.Martha Corona
great staff and great serviceMay Belle Sorilla
Great service! Very knowledgeable, professional and kind staffSara Crowley
I came here to do a quick treatment for laser hair removal. This place is clean and well lit! Along with this, the staff, including the technicians are amazing! Would highly recommend this place. I know I'll be visiting again for follow ups!Phoebe