About 14% of Americans have unattractive nails that make them uncomfortable in public. Onychomycosis, commonly known as nail fungus, is the infection of the nail that makes a change to the nail appearance. Previously the treatment of toenail is difficult because of the fungus location inside and underneath the nail.
This infection generates from moist environments like pools, hotel bathrooms, gym locker rooms, and more. Toe fungal infection is risky, and it is common among people, even in the absence of a warm and humid environment. We provide Colleyville laser fungus removal treatment and help you.
IN DIFFICULT-TO-REACH LOCATIONS
Distal subungual onychomycosis is the common form of onychomycosis from which many people suffer. This is usually caused by a dermatophyte Trichophyton rubrum that affects the underside of the nail plate and the nail bed. For many patients, a topical cream is ineffective due to the location of fungal infection. Moreover, alternative treatment, along with oral medications, causes health risks and is effective only in some percentage of users.
Nail fungus is critical to treat because of its location, and people undertake costly yet ineffective treatment for years, which gives them mental pressure and all they suffer in silence believing that something good will happen and their brittle, yellow, and thickened toenails will vanish someday.
EQUIPMENT WE USE
Our Colleyville laser fungus removal procedure is done by a laser technician who is trained to use our Splendor X laser, a device introduced in the market in the year 2019 by Lumenis.
A complimentary consultation is painless and straightforward. The technician will discuss this procedure in our private consultation room. Evaluation of your toes and/or fingers will be done. You will see our Colleyville laser fungus removal treatment procedure in a quick video.
Further, the technician will access the gravity of a case and explain the aftercare steps you need to take care of to prevent re-infection. The technician will determine the number of treatments required in your case and give details over pricing and payment options.
After that, you can decide to carry on the treatment or not. If you agree, we will book an appointment or get started with the procedure according to your preference.
What To Expect
Once you are restful on the treatment table in the room, a picture of your toes will be clicked to track the progress further. You will get prepared for the laser treatment, and thus a pair of safety goggles will be handled to you. The technician will conduct the two full passes on the five toenails of the right foot, followed by the same on the left foot. You will feel a slight heat sensation on the nail; however, some patients don’t even feel anything. As all ten toes will be treated, a technician will finish the process by applying an antifungal topical. From there, you can go with a normal routine once the procedure completes.
Laser treatment for fungal infection in the toenail is significant, and the best results will be obtained if the patient commits to fight this infection dedicatedly before and after the appointment. For preventing re-infections, aftercare practices are essential, and some steps need to be practiced to get the maximum benefits before your appointments.
Below given are some tips to prepare your nail for laser treatment:
- Clean your toes and exfoliate feet to take off dead skin that may be nurturing fungus.
- Clip your nails before the appointment. This will allow you to clear the infected nail as much as possible.
- Ensure to remove nail polish before treatment as laser energy thoroughly cannot travel through nail polish. Even remove the clear nail polish to achieve the best results.
- Wear new socks after the appointment because you do not want to wear a sock that may have fungus on your treated foot. Best is to wear new cotton socks as it has moisture-wicking properties.
These steps will ensure the best treatment results and also minimizes the chance of a re-infection.
Detailed instructions will be discussed with you after a laser toenail fungus treatment by our laser specialist.
It is vital to practice the aftercare instructions carefully even though we have a highly effective laser procedure that kills fungus, but as always, a fungal re-infection is possible. Although we will remove the fungus underneath your nails, it depends on you to prevent it’s returning by following the aftercare rules.
Your habits and actions will allow you to live a fungus-free life. After the treatment, you can resume all the normal activities immediately. The procedure is designed such that you can run, walk, swim, hike, or carry on any activity on the same day. You may notice slight redness in the area around the toenail, but don’t worry as it will go away in 24-48 hours. The procedure is painless, and you can comfortably go through the procedure.
- Apply an antifungal spray that contains any of the following active ingredients such as butenafine 1%, miconazole 2%, terbinafine 1%, Tolnaftate 1%, Clotrimazole 1%, or Undecylenic acid 5%. Spray it on the top of the feet. You must apply it twice a day but remember that your feet must be clean and dry.
- Also, spray it inside your shoes at the end of the day. You can also use Lysol or use an ultraviolet shoe sterilizer as directed.
- SteriShoe is one of the best products we have found that can kill fungus and bacteria. This is a device that shines a sterilizing ultraviolet light for 45 minutes into your shoes, usually overnight.
- Using this SteriShoe is an effective method to ensure that your shoes will not re-infect your toes. SteriShoe will be operated when you visit our office, and you can also purchase the product at your appointment.
- Avoid wearing the same shoes every day; also, you must spray the antifungal product every time you wear shoes and clean tubs/showers with bleach.
- Use an antifungal spray or antifungal powder with baking soda if your feet sweat a lot.
- You must also buy new nail files and clippers as there is a possibility that your current pair is infected. Nail care instruments made of metal require cleaning. You can use boiling water and diluted bleach.
- Wash fabrics like socks, bedding, etc. with hot soapy water as these directly come in contact with your feet. You can also use cloth bleach for this purpose. Daily change bed linens or wear clean socks to bed each night.
- Always wear shoes when possible, especially in hotel rooms, public places, gyms, showers, and indoor swimming pools or even at home.
- Do not visit the nail salons that don’t use clean instruments, and you must use disposable liners for a pedicure.
- Also, dispose of all nail polishes as they might be infected
- Daily wash your feet and toes. Dry in between the toes thoroughly.
Before and After Photos