About the treatment
As many as 14% of Americans suffer from unsightly nails that prevent them from feeling comfortable with bare feet or toes in public.
Nail fungus, clinically named onychomycosis, is the infection of the nail and nail bed that causes a number of changes to the appearance of the nail. The treatment of toenail fungus has previously been very difficult due to the location of the fungus both underneath and inside of the nail.
Nail fungus infections often originate from moist environments – such as gym locker rooms, hotel bathrooms, or pools. Risk factors include aging, heavy perspiration, and humid environments. With our area being a humid, warm environment, nail fungus is quite common amongst the population.
Glow Medspa's laser nail fungus removal treatment can help.
IN DIFFICULT-TO-REACH LOCATIONS
The most common form of onychomycosis is distal subungual onychomycosis usually caused by Trichophyton rubrum, a dermatophyte that invades the nail bed and underside of the nail plate.
Due to the location of the infection, topical creams are frequently ineffective for many patients.
Alternative treatment with oral medications can lead to health risks, need liver enzyme testing, and are only effective in a small percentage of users.
Because nail fungus is difficult to treat under the nail plate, many patients undertake years of ineffective treatment at great expense, all the while suffering in silence and hoping for something better to treat their yellowed, brittle, thickened toenails.
EQUIPMENT WE USE
This procedure is performed by a laser technician trained in the use of our Splendor X laser made by Lumenis. This device came to market in 2019.
Our complimentary consultation process is easy and painless, your technician will speak to you in one of our private consultation room’s
Your technician will evaluate your toes (and/or fingers) and show you a quick video about the treatment process.
Your technician will then access the severity of your particular case and explain the aftercare steps you will need to take in order to avoid reinfection. Your technician will be able to determine an approximate amount of treatments you will need and from there will go over pricing and payment options.
Should you decide to go ahead with the treatment, we will book you an appointment or in some cases get started right away if that’s what you prefer!
What To Expect
Once in the room, and comfortable on the treatment table a quick picture of your toes will be taken to track your progress.
The technician will hand you a pair of safety goggles and prepare the laser device. Next, the technician will conduct 2 full passes to the right foot’s 5 toenails and then proceed with the same process on the left foot’s 5 toenails. The patient feels only a slight heating sensation on the nail. In fact, most don’t feel anything at all! Once all 10 toes have been treated the technician will apply an Anti-fungal topical.
From there, the procedure is done and you are good to go on with your normal daily routine with no downtime.
Laser treatment for toenail fungus is highly effective, but patients achieve the best results when they are committed to fighting the infection before and after their appointment as well.
Aftercare practices are incredibly important to prevent reinfection, but there are certain steps you can take to get the most out of your appointment beforehand.
Please follow these simple tips to prepare your nails for treatment:
- Clip your nails as far down as is comfortable before your appointment. This preparation will allow you to remove as much of the infected nail as possible.
- Clean your toes and exfoliate your feet to remove any dead skin that may be harboring fungus.
- Remove nail polish thoroughly before treatment. The laser energy cannot pass through nail polish. Even clear nail polish must be removed to achieve ultimate results
- Bring new socks for after the appointment. You do not want to put a treated foot back into a sock that may contain fungus. New, cotton socks are best because of their moisture-wicking properties.
Following these steps ensures the most effective treatment and decreases the likelihood of a reinfection.
After your laser toenail fungus treatment, your laser specialist will discuss this list of post-treatment instructions in detail with you.
It is very important to follow the aftercare instructions listed here because, even though our laser procedure is highly effective at killing fungus, a fungal reinfection is always possible. We will destroy the fungus under your nails, but it is up to you to follow the aftercare rules to keep it from returning.
The simple actions and habits below will greatly improve your chances for remaining fungus free for life. You can resume your normal activities immediately. Our procedure is designed so that you can walk, run, hike, swim or do any activity you are used to doing the same day. You might notice some redness around the toenail which will go away within 24-48 hours, but you shouldn’t experience any pain after the procedure.
- Normal activity may resume immediately.
- Apply an antifungal spray with one of the following active ingredients: (Undecylenic acid 5%, Clotrimazole 1%, Tolnaftate 1%, terbinafine 1%, miconazole 2% or butenafine 1%) Spray the tops of the feet. Apply up to two times daily to clean, dry feet.
- Spray the insides of your shoes with an antifungal spray or Lysol at the end of each day or use an ultraviolet shoe sterilizer (SteriShoe) as directed.
- The best product we have found to kill odor-causing bacteria and fungus is the SteriShoe, which is a device that shines an ultraviolet sterilizing light into your shoes for 45 minutes, usually overnight. This is a highly effective way to ensure your shoes don’t re-infect your toes. We can show you how the SteriShoe operates when you visit our office and you can purchase one at your appointment.
- Try not to wear the same shoes every day. Shoes need to be sprayed every time there is wear.
- Disinfectant showers/tubs with bleach.
- If your feet tend to sweat a lot, use an antifungal powder or antifungal spray with baking soda.
- Buy new nail clippers and files since your current pair may be infected. Metal nail care instruments need to be cleaned with diluted bleach or boiling water.
- Wash all fabrics (socks, bedding, etc.) your feet come in contact with regularly in hot soapy water, bleach or color safe bleach immediately following the laser treatment. Change bed linens daily or wear a clean pair of socks to bed every night.
- Wear shoes at all times, even at home. Especially, in public places, hotel rooms, showers, gyms, and indoor swimming pools.
- Avoid nail salons that do not clean instruments properly or use disposable liners for pedicure bowls.
- Dispose of all nail polishes since the polish may be infected.
- Wash your toes and feet daily, ensuring that you dry them completely – especially between the toes.
Glow Medspa is absolutely amazing!!! Friendly and knowledgeable staff, open early and close late, best lasers I've experienced of all the places I've gone to.Ashley White
Glow MedSpa has such a friendly and knowledgable staff. I was hesitant to get laser hair removal but they immediately made me feel comfortable and had so much knowledge. The entire process was quick and simple and I love my results! Would highly recommend.Ariella Yager
I’ve has 2 treatments at GlowMed Spa. I am Hispanic and have very course facial hair. I’ve had treatments before but with the two I’ve had at GlowMed Spa I can already see and feel the difference. I’m excited for the rest of my treatments.Nora Molinar
Professional friendly staffWhitney Stark
I’ve really enjoyed my time going to Glow Medspa! The staff is always very sweet and welcoming.Kristi Gordon
I love this place Totally recommend and great prices!!!Aly Rodriguez
They explain the procedures and how to care for it. And so far I’m very pleased with the results. I have medium brown skin and of very course black hair. I have been Waxing for three years and only after 2 treatments I see that The hair barely grows now.Meem Hussain
The staff is great, every time I have gone in there- my experience has been a great one.Martha Corona
great staff and great serviceMay Belle Sorilla
Great service! Very knowledgeable, professional and kind staffSara Crowley
I came here to do a quick treatment for laser hair removal. This place is clean and well lit! Along with this, the staff, including the technicians are amazing! Would highly recommend this place. I know I'll be visiting again for follow ups!Phoebe